Many people do not drink coffee for several reasons. Some people may be allergic to coffee and may have life-threatening aggravations towards it. These people should abstain from drinking coffee. However, some people seem to tolerate this beverage well and buy coffee online at large amounts. Nevertheless, drinking coffee has the following benefits.
- Coffee is a brain and nerve stimulant which affects people’s adrenal glands. Drinking coffee causes the adrenal glands to produce adrenaline hormones, which are used to handle stress. The short-term benefits of drinking coffee are that people who drink it become more alert and have short bursts of energy.
- Caffeine found in coffee is claimed to prevent the crystallization of cholesterol, thereby reducing the chances of gallstones.
- Coffee enhances the colon activities, which, in turn, produces regular bowel movements in coffee drinkers. The regulation of the bowels also lessens the risk of colon cancer.
- The antioxidant activity associated with coffee drinking reduces the incidence of Parkinson’s disease. The number of antioxidants found in coffee is four times that of green tea.
- Caffeine hastens the metabolism of body fat during exercise while reducing a person’s hunger.
How to Prepare Coffee for Drinking?
When you buy coffee online, you are most likely purchasing roasted coffee beans of pure or blended varieties. Whatever is the combination of coffee varieties, the roasting of the coffee bean is just one procedure out of many to enjoy coffee fully. The next thing to consider is how to prepare the coffee beans for drinking. There are different ways in which coffee can be brewed. Each café will have its unique brew; however, all brewing methods can be classified into five main techniques:
Until the 1930s, boiling was the main way of brewing coffee. Roasted coffee beans are mixed in water and are left to boil. It is at 96 degrees Celsius that the aromatic oils and bitter acids from the coffee beans are released, creating the distinct aroma and taste of brewed coffee. The simplest way to create this brew is by pouring boiling water in a cup of ground coffee and then letting it cool down while the coffee sinks to the bottom. Since the coffee grounds are still incorporated with the hot water, this type of coffee brew is also known as “mud coffee” or “cowboy coffee.”
This method is similar to boiling except that the roasted coffee grounds are placed inside a French Press, a tall cylinder with a nylon or metal mesh filter-plunger. Boiling water is placed in the cylinder along with the coffee grounds and left for about 4 to 7 minutes. The plunger is then pushed down, filtering the grounds so that only the liquid coffee can be poured out.
A similar variation to this is soft brewing. This method involves placing the grounds inside a cylindrical filter, which is then placed inside the pot of boiling water. When the coffee is poured out, the coffee grounds will remain inside the filter.
Filtration is another brewing method in which hot water is dripped onto coffee grounds held by a filter or brew basket. During this process, hot water passes through the coffee grounds and makes contact with them for about four to six minutes before the drip eventually passes out of the filter into the cup. During the time hot water is in contact with the grounds, many soluble acids and caffeine have already dissolved in the drip, which will then pour into the cup.
Pressure or espresso brewing is the fifth type of brewing, which involves forcing hot water of temperatures 91 to 95 degrees Celsius through a lightly packed mound of ground coffee under 800 to 1800 kPa of pressure. Because of the much shorter time of percolation, espresso allows only 60 to 70 percent of the caffeine and acids to dissolve into the brew.
Regardless of the brewing process, you can be sure that you will get the health benefits of drinking coffee.