The degeneration of the spine causes spondylitis. It is similar to arthritis and results in the gradual disintegration of the spinal discs and the vertebrae. A person suffering from spondylitis has severe neck and back pains. It starts silently and is recognised after spreading out badly. The most common type of spondylitis is Cervical which includes the neck, shoulder, and lower spine region, and the pain moves in a downward direction. Physiotherapy cures spondylitis in a natural healing technique. It is cost-effective and comes up with a lot of techniques as per the pain you are suffering from.
There is no definitive cause for spondylitis. An individual with the HLA-B27 gene runs a high risk of suffering from ankylosing spondylitis. Varied image tests and examinations do the diagnosis of spondylitis. Radiology, MRI scan, X-rays are some of the methods for diagnosis.
The symptoms of Spondylitis are –
- Muscle weakness
- Reduced flexibility of the spine
- Increased pain and is having a tingling sensation.
- Constant pain in the neck, back and Joint.
- Loss of sensation and numbness.
Types of Spondylitis
This osteoarthritis of the spine can be classified under the following groups.
- Cervical – The neck region is affected.
- Thoracic – The middle back region is affected.
- Lumber – The lower back region is affected.
- Multilevel – More than one particular region of the spinal cord is affected.
- Ankylosing spondylitis – It affects the sacroiliac joint resulting in stiffness of the knees, chest, hips, and lower back. Ankylosing spondylitis is a type of spondyloarthritis.
The most common one is cervical spondylosis. Most people from any age group are suffering from this class of Spondylitis. There are still no proper treatments for this issue. Therefore, we need to depend on some homely measures, especially on physiotherapy treatment.
Some of the treatments for Spondylitis
There are several home treatment tips available for relieving the pain and reducing the symptoms. Some of these are-
Hot and Cold Therapy: Alternating hot and cold compress is effective. The hot compress increases the flow of blood carrying oxygen and nutrients to the target area. And cold therapy reduces inflammation, pain, and muscle spasms.
Deep Tissue Massage: With direct pressure and friction, the tension in the soft tissues gets relaxed. A therapist is a perfect person to give a massage.
- Physiotherapy: With the current medical development, physiotherapy is the best treatment for treating spondylitis. If you are staying in the heart of the country, then finding a physiotherapist in Delhi is not a hard task. Patients with chronic neck and back pain need to stretch their muscles and strengthen them. They offer massages, manual therapies and acupuncture techniques. These are very effective in any kind of pain. It acts as a natural healer and you don’t need to depend on counter available medicine. You can also go to a yoga training center or for regular exercise.
A regular treatment plan can reduce and control complications. With expert help, you can get some medicines that are generally pain killers. In general, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, narcotic drugs, analgesics and depressants. One may also take medicines such as Corticosteroid Injection, Oral Corticosteroid, and Tumour Necrosis Factor Inhibitors. The last resort treatment is surgery.